TMJ, or your temporomandibular joints, are the joints responsible for allowing you to chew, swallow, and speak. They connect your lower jaw, your mandible, to your skull. When the joints or muscles become sore or painful, they can cause debilitating headaches, difficulties with speech, and problems chewing. If the system of muscles, ligaments, and joints becomes disrupted or painful, you may have temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD).
Symptoms of TMJ disorders:
- Jaw pain
- Jaw stiffness
- Locking jaw
- Popping or clicking jaw
- Pain when opening or closing mouth
- Painful chewing
- Inability to line jaw up properly
- Tired facial muscles
Causes of TMJ disorders:
- Jaw alignment
Our dentist at Riverbend Family Dental will perform a thorough examination of your joints and muscles to determine whether or not you have any popping, difficulties with mobility, or tenderness. If you are diagnosed with TMJ disorder, your dentist will work closely with you to develop a comprehensive personalized treatment plan that is centered around the major symptoms you are experiencing and the root cause of your TMD.
Oral treatments for TMJ disorders:
- Night guards: Night guards can help you avoid clenching or grinding your teeth while you sleep so that your muscles can experience relief from the extra tension of clenching.
- Occlusal splint: An occlusal splint is worn over your teeth like a mouthguard and has the ability to make changes to your bite so that you can experience relief from your TMJ pain. Unlike other types of mouthguards, occlusal splints are made of acrylic.
- Anterior Repositioning Appliance: An anterior repositioning appliance is a TMJ treatment that literally moves your jaw in order to relieve the stress put on the muscles and joints.
If you are suffering from the TMJ pain, don’t wait any longer to feel relief. Call our office today to schedule your appointment.