Are you feeling nervous about having a tooth extracted?
Dr. Bennion is committed to providing you with the exceptional dental care you deserve. If you are looking for the best tooth extraction Meridian has to offer, call Riverbend Family Dental today to schedule your appointment!
No matter the reason for needing a tooth extraction, finding a compassionate dentist who can help you feel confident in your care and treatment plan is essential.
What is a tooth extraction?
If your tooth is too badly damaged from injury or decay and it cannot be saved, your dentist will likely recommend and tooth extraction. A tooth extraction is the procedure whereby your dentist removes the damaged tooth from your jaw.
Reasons for a tooth extraction
There are a number of reasons that you could need a tooth extraction. From preparing for dental implants to wisdom tooth removal, extractions vary is reason and complexity.
- Tooth decay and periodontitis
- Wisdom teeth commonly need to be extracted
- Injury or infection too severe for the tooth to be repaired or saved
- Baby teeth don’t fall out in time to allow permanent teeth to come in
- If you have teeth that are blocking other teeth from coming in properly
- If room needs to be made in your mouth for orthodontic treatment or dental implants
After Dr. Bennion at Riverbend Family Dental has recommended a tooth extraction, we will take an X-ray to develop the best personalized plan to remove the tooth. If you are having your wisdom teeth removed, we will take X-rays of your entire jaw to gauge the best removal plan to ensure the proper removal and care for the rest of your oral, sinus, and jawbone health.
Two types of extractions
- Simple: A simple extraction is a procedure wherein your dentist at Riverbend Family Dental will loosen the tooth and then remove it with forceps. This type of extraction is generally used for teeth that can be easily seen and accessed in the mouth.
- Surgical: A surgical extraction is a more complex procedure wherein your dentist will make a small incision in your gum tissue, and may have to remove some bone, to remove the tooth. This procedure will be necessary if the tooth has broken at the gum line.
What to expect during and after your extraction
With all tooth extractions, you will receive at least local anesthesia. With surgical extractions, you may receive intravenous (IV) anesthesia. It is common to experience pressure, but you should not feel any pain. You may experience some discomfort after the extraction, especially with surgical extractions, but NSAID pain relievers will help manage the discomfort.
Your oral health is our top priority. We understand how intimidating oral surgery and tooth extractions can be, and we are here to answer any of your questions about the procedure, recovery, and what to do once your tooth has been removed. Our team is here to ensure that you receive the high-quality and personalized care that you deserve.
How much does a tooth extraction in Meridian cost?
The amount that your extraction will cost will depend on the type of extraction you need. Fortunately, most dental insurance plans cover or contribute to tooth extractions. Additionally, we are happy to provide alternate financing options to make sure you get the care you need. Talk to our billing staff at Riverbend Family Dental to learn more about your financing options.
If you are in need of a tooth extraction, call our office today to schedule your appointment.