Having your wisdom teeth extracted can be an intimidating experience, but knowing what to expect before and after the procedure can help make the process smoother. At Riverbend Family Dental, Dr. Christian Bennion is an experienced dentist specializing in wisdom teeth extraction in Meridian, ID. Read on to learn more about what you should know before and after having your wisdom teeth removed.
Before Your Extraction
Before having your wisdom teeth extracted at a dental office in Meridian, it’s essential to understand what is involved in the procedure. The most important thing to do is find an experienced dentist like Dr. Bennion of Riverbend Family Dental, who will provide the best care possible. We strongly recommend you trust a specialized dentist for this task, which requires special skills and knowledge for a successful outcome.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Bennion will likely take x-rays of your mouth to determine if your wisdom teeth are impacted or need to be extracted due to overcrowding or damage caused by decay or infection. Once we decide that extraction is necessary, we’ll discuss the details of the procedure, such as how long it will take and any post-operative instructions you will need to follow afterward. It’s also vital that you inquire about any potential risks associated with extracting your wisdom teeth to prepare you for any complications that may arise during or after surgery.
Here are some tips for the day of your wisdom teeth removal. Depending on your appointment time, you may need to fast for several hours before the procedure due to anesthetic requirements. Make sure you dress comfortably and wear clothing that allows easy access to your mouth. Finally, ensure you have arranged a ride home from the appointment since most patients cannot drive home after sedation or general anesthesia.
After Your Extraction
Once we successfully remove your wisdom teeth, there are several steps you must take for a reasonable recovery period:
- Take all medications as prescribed by your dentist – This could include painkillers and antibiotics if necessary to prevent infection in the area where the tooth was extracted.
- Swelling and discomfort around the extraction site are normal – To reduce swelling, place an ice pack on top of gauze covering the affected area for 15 minutes throughout the day until symptoms subside. Dr. Bennion may also recommend applying pressure on the gauze after 48 hours; however, ensure not to use too much pressure as this could damage sensitive tissue around the wound site.
- Avoid hard foods – To avoid further damage or irritation to soft tissue near the tooth’s extraction, stick with softer food options until recovery is complete.
- Maintain good oral hygiene – Brushing twice daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush and avoiding smoking while healing is vital ways to keep bacteria away, which can lead to infection in open wounds.
- Keep follow-up appointments – Keep all scheduled appointments with your dentist after extraction so they can monitor progress and ensure everything is healing correctly.
Wisdom Teeth Removal at Riverbend Family Dental
At Riverbend Family Dental in Meridian, ID, Dr. Bennion is the leading expert on wisdom teeth removal. He is highly experienced and passionate about providing gentle care to his patients. His years of experience and professional training allow him to expertly remove even the most difficult or impacted wisdom teeth with minimal discomfort for patients. He utilizes state-of-the-art technology and equipment to ensure every patient receives the highest quality care possible. After the procedure, Dr. Bennion offers comprehensive aftercare instructions so patients can adequately recover from their operation without complications. With extensive knowledge and experience, Dr. Bennion provides compassionate care for all his patients to receive a safe and successful extraction of their wisdom teeth.
Wisdom Teeth Extraction in Meridian, ID
Taking these steps will help ensure you have a safe and successful experience when removing your wisdom teeth at Riverbend Family Dental here in Meridian, ID, under Dr. Christian Bennion’s supervision. In addition, proper preparation beforehand can also reduce anxiety associated with having such a complex dental procedure done!